Home Page

Special Educational Needs

Welcome to our SEND information page. My name is Mrs Brooks and I am the Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator. Should you require any additional information  that isn't given on this page, or have any questions, please contact school in the first instance asking for me, then Mrs Tempest (Headteacher) should you require.


For an overview of the school's intent, implementation and impact for SEND provision in school, please see the document at the end of this page.


What is SEND?

Children have additional educational needs if they have a learning difficulty or difference that calls for additional educational provision to be made for them. Children have a learning difficulty if they:

  • Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age. 
  • Have a disability that prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age in schools within the area of the local authority.
  • Are under compulsory school age and fall within the definitions above or would so do if special educational provision was not made for them.’ (Code of Practice September 2014)

There are  four broad areas of SEND, these are:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
  • Sensory and/or Physical Difficulties

Some children may have needs in one or more of these areas.


What changes have been made in line with the new Code of Practice 2014?

The Department for Education have changed the way disabled people and those with special educational needs are supported. They have introduced a number of changes to the Special Educational Needs statementing process which became law in September 2014 through the Children and Families Act. 

All staff in our school have been informed of these changes through training and we have made changes to the way in which we identify, monitor and record SEND information. For example, we have moved away from IEPs and we now use 'Support Plans'. These plans contain all the information that we have within school so please ensure that the pupil data held in the office is up to date. Statements will continue to be held in this form up until the next Annual Review. Following the review, we will report the outcomes back to the authority and, in line with their transition process, they will transfer them across onto a 'Education and Health Care Plan'. 


How do we identify, assess and monitor additional needs?

At Hayfield Lane Primary School we follow a graduated support procedure. This consists of:

  1. Assess
  2. Plan
  3. Do
  4. Review

This is a cycle of provision that we utilise at each stage of the process.


What happens if the school feel that my child has additional needs?

First of all any concerns and/or issues that have become apparent to school staff will be discussed with the parent/guardian. Should these concerns remain then guidance will be sought from the Special Educational Needs Coordinator. Together we will formulate a plan of action, with timescales for review. These plans usually follow the following steps.


Many pupils can experience delay in their learning and may not be making expected progress for a variety of reasons. We, as a staff, know our children and families well. Should a child be flagged up then we will endeavour to find out if there are any external factors that need to be considered. At this stage the class teacher, will complete a ‘Cause for Concern’ form where triggers, information and action points are noted. This will then be shared with the SEN team and a clear timescale will be set as to the next decision.

At this stage the child may have further differentiated work prepared for them by their class teacher in conjunction with the support staff. Parents will be kept fully informed.


Following a ‘Cause for Concern Review’ a decision will be made as to the next steps that need to be taken. This will be done in conjunction with the child, parents, class teacher and Special Educational Needs Coordinator. Either the child will be taken off of the register and continue with class differentiation or they will be added to the Additional SEND Support register. Once a potential additional need is identified, action will be taken to put further targeted and effective support in place. A ‘Support Plan’ will be completed, with specific targets set and progress monitored at least three times per term. In addition, planned reviews will take place with the pupil and family member termly, with informal updates completed more frequently.


Should classroom teachers and/or the Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator have evidence that certain children are still not making good progress then the SENDCo will arrange intensive additional SEND support in any or all of the four areas. This may include directing staff towards one-to-one support for certain lessons or activities. It may also include referrals to external specialist services and teachers with additional specialist qualifications may be called upon to provide guidance, assessment, support and/or provision. Following this there may be intensive specific programmes to be followed by all adults coming into active learning situations with the child. All of the above information will continue to be recorded on the 'Support Plan'


Should children still not be making appropriate progress then the formal assessment procedures for an Education Health and Care Plan will be started by the SENDCo in conjunction with the Parents, Headteacher and other Specialist Services. The legal assessment procedures outlined in the Local Offer by Doncaster Local Authority will be followed. We will then respond accordingly to the feedback and allocation of funds (if given).


So what provision is available at Hayfield Lane Primary School?

Our Local Offer provides information on the provision that we offer at our school. Doncaster's Local offer booklet provides information about what different services are available in the area.  A copy of this booklet can be found here.